Pages

1.19.2008

Worlds' Best Husband...and the "LUCK" of the Armstrongs rolls on.

Well, it's been another eventful weekend here at the Armstrongs! You who read this blog, cannot tell me that we are anything short of exciting!! I'll give you the story of our last few days in 2 parts, just to keep the drama straight...

Part One: Husband of the Year
This weekend WAS a weekend that I had been looking forward to for a long time. I signed up for a Scrapbooking Retreat about a month ago and I have been waiting and waiting for it to come. Most of you know that I am a diehard scrapbooker, but this year has gotten away from me and I haven't been able to do it as much as I'd like to or used to. So, imagine my excitement when this retreat came up and Travis thought I should go! I stayed home from Church on Wednesday night and organized all my pictures, cleaned out my scrapbooking stuff, and packed my bags. After work on Thursday, I came home to get my stuff...and there was ALOT of it...said goodbye to Travis and Ryley and then drove to Wisconsin (about an 1.5 hours away) to join the weekend long retreat! I got there safely, chatted with several women, set all my stuff up, and even did 2 pages before I decided to head to bed. It has been a very long and stressful week, so I was more than ready for a good night's rest...little did I know that was not going to happen!

At about 12:00am I layed in bed and realized I didn't feel so great, but I didn't think much of it and I just tried to fall asleep faster. Well that "sleep" was quite short lived as I awoke violently at 12:30am with the feeling that I was going to throw up at any second. Needless to say, I RAN to the bathroom that I SHARED with 2 other women and I proceeded to "hurl" 7 times for the next 5 hours, getting almost no sleep at all and feeling HORRIBLE. I actually called Travis at about 1:00am and basically cried on the phone because I felt so bad. He could tell I was miserable and he immediately felt sorry for me, telling me to call in the morning and hoping that this was going to pass quickly. Somehow, I made it through that night and I called him at about 9:00am, again crying because I could not even lift my head or stand up without feeling like it was going to start all over again! All the while, I could hear all the women laughing and having fun, talking about their photos and comparing their pages...and there I was, laying in bed, with the chills and a headache, sicker than a dog and all alone...are you feeling sorry for me yet??

This was yesterday, Friday morning, and I was supposed to be at this retreat until toinght, Saturday night, so I told Travis that I wanted to try and sleep it off hoping that I could still salvage some of the weekend and actually scrapbook. The day rolled on and I kept trying to get up, but each time with the same result...nausea, headaches, and body aches. I tried to go out to my station, looking WONDERFUL, and trying to do something that related to scrapbooking, but it only lasted about 5 minutes and finally after reluctant deliberation, I made THE CALL. I called Travis and asked him to come get me...IN WISCONSIN...and now you know why he is "THE HUSBAND OF THE YEAR"! He came! On his day off, he changed his plans and he caught a ride with some other ladies who were coming to the retreat yesterday afternoon so that he could clean my stuff up and drive me home. And when he got there, he took one look at me, grinning and laughing about how sad and pathetic I looked, but feeling very sorry for me and realizing how badly I wanted to stay and scrapbook with all the other ladies. He warmed up the car, cleaned up my stuff, and put me in the car...at that point I could still not sit up...then he drove me home, back to Minnesota, listening to me moan and groan in the backseat about how "fast and curvy" he was driving (remember I was still nauseous) until we got home. Is he the best or what? Then he unpacked the car, made me some chicken noodle soup and put me to bed. I love him, because he's so sweet when it comes to stuff like this. He never gave me a hard time about leaving early or having to come pick me up and he even told me he how sorry he was that I had to miss my scrapbooking weekend, as he saw it was something I would have loved.

Well, today I am feeling much better and we even mananged to have a great day at home together. I set up my own scrapbooking extravaganza on our dining room table and we watched college basketball all day...including the IOWA game!! Go Hawks! Then we remembered we had to go pick up Travis' car, which he left in front of one of the lady's homes whom he rode with...and that leads me to part two of our weekend.

Part Two: The "luck" of the Armstrongs rolls on
After watching UNC lose a close game to Maryland, we got in the car and headed to Richfield to pick up Trav's car. When we arrived, Travis got out of our car and decided to warm up his for a few minutes as it's currently -35 wind chill outside (that's a whole new topic for later!). After he got in the car, I noticed that he was having trouble shutting his door...I assumed this was due to "user error" until he suddenly got out, looked at the car, and yelled to me..."someone hit our car!!" Well, if I wasn't already used to our HORRID LUCK with cars, I would have been surprised. But since it was our car, I just shook my head and closed my eyes. Unbelieveable. Let me just give you a quick breakdown of our car history together:

My Car- Nissan Maxima
-hit and run in Naples, damages back bumper
-hit in Church parking lot, damages front bumper and head light
-dies in Iowa, on Thanksgiving

Our second car- Saturn Sedan
-We were "Keyed" at a mall in Raleigh, all along the passenger side door
-After owning it for only a month and a half, I was hit from behind and the car was deemed totaled by the insurance company...classic

Our replacement for the Saturn- Acura Integra
-One month after buying, Travis was hit in a grocery store parking lot, damages back side panel
-One week after moving to Minnesota, Travis was hit in front of mall, damages same back side panel
-Last winter, Travis slides into snowbank on snowy day and cracks front bumper
-Today, someone backs into driver's side door, denting door, bending frame, and chipping paint...leaving the door unable to close! Seriously.

Do I have to say anything more? We have been hit, by other people, 7 times!!! We don't even know what to say about this latest accident, other than we're pretty sure this old couple did it and I'm fairly certain that she lied to me when I knocked on her door and asked her about it...that makes us more mad than anything else. Can you imagine hitting someone, doing damage, and not telling them or leaving a note??? Anyway, we've hardly talked about it, because we want to remain in denial and we don't know what to do other than just shake our heads and look at each other...before we burst into laughter.

So there you have it, another stellar weekend at the Armstrongs...stay tuned for more fun next week!!

4 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

Oh my goodness... I am laughing so hard that I can hardly stand it. So are you going to get any money for this car?!!!! I had the same sickness Steph, this week on Wed-Thurs. I woke up and then puked 8 times in 9 hours. I cannot imagine being at a retreat and feeling that way. I was the same way where if I moved it got so much worse. I still feel kind of nausceous. Mike was sweet as well.. I could not have taken care of the kids for a second. I still can't believe your car story. Is this the new one? Love it!

sheltonfamily said...

Oh my goodness... I am laughing so hard that I can hardly stand it. So are you going to get any money for this car?!!!! I had the same sickness Steph, this week on Wed-Thurs. I woke up and then puked 8 times in 9 hours. I cannot imagine being at a retreat and feeling that way. I was the same way where if I moved it got so much worse. I still feel kind of nausceous. Mike was sweet as well.. I could not have taken care of the kids for a second. I still can't believe your car story. Is this the new one? Love it!

Jesse and Stacie said...

Bummer Steph! That sounds like an awful weekend, especially after you packed up all that stuff :( I can't believe that your car got hit again! That is unbelievable, but yet not because it's you guys :) i hope it wasn't your new car..??

Sarah said...

no freaking way! (about the car)I laughed out loud.