Pages

7.07.2010

Life on the Fly

I am in the midst of one of those weeks, where I am B-U-S-Y and see no relief in sight!  It's a wedding week, which means I am consumed right now with paperwork, errands, phone calls and emails until I start the actual physical work tomorrow and Friday.  This wedding is on Saturday, and thankfully my wonderful mother in law is coming tomorrow to visit and help us with Ava.  I'm so thankful, on several levels, but mostly because I know Ava will have tons of attention and care while I am completely pre-occupied.  That eases the guilt a little bit :)  

As much as I love doing these weddings, and I really do love it, I am wondering how on earth I will be able to continue after Carter comes along??  I've already got a couple of brides asking about next winter and summer and I'm trying to be very discerning about what I should do.  It's such a blessing to have some extra $ for things we wouldn't normally be able to do or fix or purchase, but it comes at the cost of stress and busyness away from my family.  If Travis wasn't as supportive as he is, I would never do this, but he is very good about picking up the slack and helping me in any way that he can.  He likes that I have this little side business I think!  I like it too.  It feeds my creative needs and it constantly challenges me, but as soon as I sign on to do a wedding, it looms in the back of my mind until the day it's over :) In some cases, that's a year of thinking/worrying/planning for it.  Worth it??  Hmmm, I don't know...

For now, I just need to finish this season well, which means a wedding this weekend and another in 2 weeks.  I love both of them, very fun colors and LOTS of flowers, and 2 brides that I think are as sweet as can be.  That makes it easier!  I will put up some pictures after the weekend is over so you can see.  That is IF I am still alive when this is over :) You should see my desk right now...I have lists and proposals and work orders and more lists, trying to keep everything straight and organized for my work crew that will be helping me.  That's another thing this little business has fed, my OCD organizational skills!  I LOVE having everything spelled out in front of me and ready to "check off" as I finish it!  Travis laughs at me because I am a little over the top about it, but having those lists made is what allows me to sleep at night.  Sometimes you've got to take the good with the bad....

Anyway, we're doing well over here.  Ava is currently in a climbing phase and is all over everything!!  She is keeping me on my toes and testing her boundaries all day long.  I am loving her independence though, it's fun to see her learn to do so much and yet to realize how much she is watching us!  I can't believe the things she copies us doing.  It's also a little easier to let her play on her own and explore her world.  She is such a source of joy for both of us every day!  I just keep thinking, this 
season is really, really great!  Although exhausting...

I need to wrap this up because we're off to run some errands, but I'll leave you with some pictures of my monkey, performing her latest trick.  
These are her new favorites, her little baby dolls.  She carries them everywhere, kissing them and holding one under each arm.  
However, for some reason unbeknownst to me, she decided this shopping cart that we've had for awhile, would make a better "ride" for her than for her babies. 
She's figured out how to climb into it and sprawl out, sometimes sitting on top of her babies and sometimes holding them too.  I find her in here constantly.  
Because of the way it's made, it's pretty sturdy, but still not meant for a little girl :) She hasn't fallen out yet, but I'm sure that moment is coming.  For now, I have to watch her like a hawk and remind her that while I don't love her sitting in it, I CERTAINLY don't love her STANDING in it!  
Good grief!  
Because the Lord has a sense of humor I think, she is exactly like I was when I was her age...a fearless  climber!!  
I'm sure the old saying applies here, "What goes around, comes around!"  
Needless to say, I have a new found sympathy for my Mother these days....

5 comments:

Donna said...

Pics of Ava are cute as can be!! Looking forward to seeing pics of your flowers!!

Jennafer said...

Steph,
You can't stop doing flowers. At least not til I get married!! :) :)
Ava's cute, as usual. I think she had fun with dart wars last night, too :P

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Ava is such a sweetheart....
I have done some weddnings and get asked all the time...but they are so stressful...Love your blog...

Toni :O) said...

Awww...Ava is just getting cuter and cuter with each passing day! I LOVED her photographer photos...wow!! I think your new header is just adorable! Hope the wedding went great for you this weekend...as always, I love seeing the pics of your finished products...you have such amazing talent!

Erin said...

I know what you mean about needing help from the grandmas and grandpas. I always need them when I shoot weddings because I don't want my husband t take off work, that would be silly for him to use vaction time just so I can shoot a wedding.

I love your work!