Pages

4.19.2010

A Little of This, a Little of That

Well, it's been a Monday.  Enough said, right?  It wasn't a bad day, just a day full of stuff.  So in no particular order, here's a slice...

-I woke up this morning with a very, very vivid dream on my mind.  So vivid in fact, I could taste it.  I dreamed specifically that I was eating hummus and sea salt pita chips last night.  When I got out of bed, all I could think about was getting my hands on some!  So, during our errands today, I picked up the most incredible hummus and some new sea salt pita chips that were very tasty.  The next thing I need to pick up are some pickles.  Big, dill spears to be specific.  Can you tell I'm preggo??  I'm dreaming about food, what does that say??

-Speaking of this pregnancy, so far I truly have no complaints.  I feel good, any nausea I used to have seems to have passed and I've even recovered a little bit of my energy again.  But I do have one thing on my mind most days and that is food.   I crave things that are salty, day and night.  No sweets, no chocolate, just salt.  Weird I know.  I could eat feta cheese, pickles, wheat thins and now hummus and sea salt pita chips all day long!  BUT, unlike my first pregnancy, I am allowing myself a single soda or coffee once a day.  With Ava, I drank no caffeine.  With this one, I wouldn't survive the day without it!  I told Travis tonight that I look forward to a coke with fresh limes, like an alcoholic craves beer!  I mean I'm seriously obsessed with it.  It's my little reward after a long day and I savor every sip.  There is just something about a fresh lime slice in a glass of ice cold coke...oh it's sooooo good!!  I know, I'm so weird.  I'm starting to freak my own self out with my strong feelings about this!

-I took Ava to the doctor today by myself and it was not a good experience.  Travis always comes to all of her appointments (by his choice, he likes to hear the updates!) but today he had something he couldn't get out of, so I took her alone.  We went for her 12 month check and also to have her ears looked at, as I wasn't totally sure she didn't have another infection.  Thankfully, she didn't and that was good news.  But, unfortunately for her, it was an appointment full of pokes and prods and 3 separate ear checks.  You can imagine it was not a pretty scene in our room!  All of her stats were great and her development is perfect, ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, but the finger poke for hemoglobin and a shot in each arm, in addition to the ear checks were not a walk in the park.  I was trying to hold it together for her, but I literally had to wrestle her to the table or on my chest to get through it.  It was exhausting by the time we were finally done!  For both of us :)  Thankfully, she was fine once we got out of our room, but for awhile, she was "that" child who started screaming the minute another doctor or nurse walked in.  It was so sad.  And I was sweating :) Oh the joys of motherhood...

-However, on a much heavier note and in a very sad way, I was savoring my time with her as I wiped her tears away and held her tightly.  We got a call last night from my cousins' daughter, to tell us that one of her friends who comes to our junior high ministry, lost her Mom in a car accident last night.  Just like that.  At only 13, her life and the lives of her other siblings have been forever changed.  It crossed my mind multiple times, that sweet little Katie will no longer have her Mother to wipe her tears away.  Her Mom can't hold her tight tonight and tell her it's going to be ok.  She's just been dealt a very cruel blow and I can't imagine the road she has ahead of her.  And at such a young age.  Travis spent a good deal of time with her and her family today and he will be doing the funeral on Sunday, but if you can, would you just pray with us for Katie and her family?  We're not sure about any spiritual foundation in her family or if anyone knows the Lord in a personal way, so we are storming Heaven's gates on their behalf with our prayers.  We know the potential for life changing decisions at the crossroad they are now facing and we are confident that the Lord is pursuing them in their darkest hour.  But grief is grief and it's hard no matter what, especially when you are so young.  Our hearts are heavy tonight and we asking the Lord to do a mighty work through this tragedy...We know He is the ultimate Healer, the Father they need, and the Comforter.  Please pray for Katie, for her older brothers and sisters and for her step-dad Kyle.  I just keep asking the Lord to be near to them...

-Trav just walked in the door and we've got a date with 24 on our tivo, so I need to wrap this up.  Our week is a very busy one and tomorrow is going to be the busiest day yet, so hopefully I can get my rear end in bed at a decent hour!  But not before Jack Bauer saves the world or something tonight...We're so sad this show is ending!!  We love it!  At least we have plenty of prior seasons to catch up on :)

Hope you have a blessed week!

2 comments:

Toni :O) said...

Oh my, I'll most certainly pray for Katie and her family...how awful, awful, awful! I'm sure it's comforting to the family to have Travis there...seems like a just a fabulous guy you have! Bummer about sweet Ava's appointment, those 12 month checkups are hard for sure. They do get easier from here on out, still a few pokes but much less anyways. Ahhh...24...what an awesome show that we will most definitely miss as well. Last night was an okay episode...not as good as some of the others and I just KNEW he was going to take that chopper...just KNEW it! Hah! I'm with you...we'll now finally get to get caught up with the first season that we've only seen bits and pieces of.

Jessica said...

I craved EVERYTHING salty with my boy. Salt and vinegar chips made my mouth water!! I'm pregnant again and craving the same things, so it might be a boy thing!! Oh, and I've already bought a jar of the big pickles. And don't think that I didn't stop in the aisle and look at the ginormous jar of the huge pickles they sell at movie theaters and think about buying one, because I did...