Pages

2.23.2014

From the Kitchen Today

I'm blaming it on the cold, maybe the pregnancy too, but I can't stop baking and cooking and thinking about food!  My kiddos were sick over the weekend and we're looking at another week of arctic cold, but what else is new?  Today I stayed home with the troops to rest and make sure we aren't spreading any germs around and because I'm sick of doing laundry or anything else that's responsible, I decided to get back in the kitchen and make us a treat.  The same treat we had last week in fact! I just couldn't help myself, it's so good.  I've been eating this bread my whole life I think, my Mom has been making this forever and today I'm sharing the recipe.  I don't know where she got it but I'm giving her the credit for it on here.  I posted a picture on Facebook today and got some requests to share it, so here you go...

Debby's Almond Poppyseed Bread with a Citrus Glaze
 Directions for the Bread 

Beat together: 
3 eggs
2.5 C sugar
1.5 C milk
1 C + 2T oil

Mix in: 
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp almond extract
1.5 tsp imitation butter extract  
(Butter extract can be very hard to find, if you can't locate in your grocery store then make up the absence by using 2.5 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp almond instead)
3 C flour
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 T poppy seeds

Pour mixture into well greased bundt pan and bake for 50-55 min at 350 degrees.
Be sure to check with a toothpick to see if done, bread will rise well above the pan and will likely need the full 55 minutes to thoroughly bake.
 Directions for the Glaze

In a small bowl, mix together: 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp imitation butter extract OR 1/2 tsp lemon extract if you are a lemon fan
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C orange juice

Pour glaze over bread while still hot.  Pour slowly so that it soaks into the bread and doesn't spill over. 
When bread is totally cool, turn over on to a plate and remove from pan.  
And then pour yourself a cup of coffee, tea or some milk and enjoy!  I promise you this will not disappoint and it serves many.  My Mom makes this about every time we come home, for most holidays and for many parties and I have followed in her footsteps and done the same.  It's always a crowd-pleaser.  In fact, I served it last summer for Trav's soccer team at their pre-season soccer camp and those high school boys went crazy for it!  Ha ha! Even my kids love it! The other nice thing about this bread is that it freezes very well.  I usually slice it, wrap it well and then it's ready to pull out when you need it.  

So there you go, I hope you'll try it and enjoy it as much as we do.  
I am sitting down with a piece tonight to watch the end of Downton.  A perfect treat for a 2 hour finale.  
Happy Sunday friends!  Have a great week! 

No comments: