Pages

7.30.2009

Deep Breath

***Update!*** I am happy to report that my wonderful husband did indeed stay out with Ava until 9:30 pm last night, giving me 2.5 glorious hours to myself!  Then, as we crawled into bed, he surprised me with a "just because" gift...a 1 hour massage at my favorite spa!!!  Oh how I love him.  After a very long day, I had a very nice night :) 

My gracious husband just walked out the door with our darling baby and I must confess, I've never felt happier about it.  Is something wrong?  Are we in a fight?  No, no.  It's just that I've had the longest day with Ava today, you know "the girl who won't nap?"  Oh yeah, it's been one of those days.  Apparently, she woke up this morning and decided she would not, under any circumstance, close her eyes and give her mother a break.  Ever.  At all.  

If only she was old enough to be bribed, I totally would have gone there today.   

Do you know what she did instead?  I bet you're thinking she cried and screamed.  Oh no, much worse.  She worked me.  How, you ask?  She slowly batted her long eyelashes, turned her head from side to side and grinned from ear to ear, while giggling softly.  Oh yes she did!  I could have died every time.  

At 10:15, when she should have been taking her first nap, I thought it was cute, sweet even.  I just scooped her up and cuddled some more.  But I failed and she took no nap.   

At 12:30, when I thought we'd make up for the morning with a big, long nap she pulled the same routine, this time with huge, sparkling eyes, indicating that she had zero intention of sleeping.  I became annoyed, but chose to relax and hope for a monster nap later.  Yes, I was delusional.  

At 3:30, when I was growing more desperate by the minute, she decided it would be cute to pretend she was going to sleep, letting me tip-toe away victoriously, then suddenly awake with a massive grin and incessant babbling.  Not the state I was hoping she'd be in for the monster nap.  

By 4:30, I was sending Travis texts like, " 5 more minutes and I'm about to have a hysterical breakdown" and "When exactly do you think you might be home?  I'm losing it!"  

At 5:30, he walked in the door and I half-jokingly asked if he could take her away and not come back until like 10:00 tonight.  Apparently he sensed some urgency in that half-joking request and at 6:30, he announced he was going to take her out for awhile.  

So, with a twinge of guilt, and a feeling of sheer delight, I broke into a wide grin and took a very, very deep breath.  

Oh yeah, it's good to be me.  

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I LOVE THAT POST!! Every mother has experienced it and you expressed it so well! I hope they stayed away long enough. :o) Call me next time she won't nap, we'd love an Ava fix!

Erin said...

What a great husband! I have been there many times and sometimes all you need is an hour break or more :)

Holly said...

wow...i can't believe she didn't get fussy. Maybe, she has Travis' energy? Well, if this makes you feel better with 3 kiddos...I pretty much get 30-45 minutes to myself from 7 A.M. till 8 P.M.... and yes, I do use bribery every day with Ellie. She loves treats after a nap!

Jen S. said...

You have such a great way of writing. I love your posts! Although my daughter is 11 now, I can totally remember days like that. I'm so glad you did finally get a break. Sometimes few hours can do wonders! Heck, a few MINUTES can do wonders! :) Your daughter is precious and I love reading all about your adventures. Hope you enjoyed your "alone time".
P.S. By the way, I used to live in Mpls. years ago. I was a nanny there. Plus I worked P/T at an Italian restaurant called Ciattis (not sure if those restaurants are even still around). Just had to share that tidbit :)

Ron and Peggy said...

Hang in there, it gets better and more interesting and more emotionally demanding and when she starts crawling you'll think you can't do it one minute more and then she's running everywhere. Good thing you blog cause it's a diary of her early life that is so easy to forget when other children come along.

Toni :O) said...

I tell ya, we have all been there that are mothers...for sure! Great post and I'm glad you got some time by yourself. As much as I love my children, I also treasure my alone time, reading a good book, checking out the blogs I follow, taking a walk, or just sitting on my back patio listening to the birds sing...does wonders for the body and soul.