Pages

1.20.2009

In God We Trust


Did you watch history unfold today?  I have been eating up all the coverage tonight.  Some of the events I watched live, some of it I missed, but it is impossible to let this day go without recognizing the historic choice our country made.  President Obama is now our nation's commander in chief and we are ushering in a new era, ready or not.  I was refreshed in my commitment to pray for him and for his family.  They are walking into a huge responsibility and a tremendous burden.  President Obama needs our support and more than that, our prayers. 
I loved this image of the First Lady holding Lincoln's Bible during the oath.  Isn't that amazing that they have his Bible??  I love when our country gets it right and does stuff like this...
My absolute favorite moment of the day.  I had tears in my eyes watching Michelle Obama look at her husband while he took that oath.  You could see the pride and the love in her face for him.  I loved that.  It made me think of all the times that I've watched Travis speak or minister to someone and my heart swells with pride.  This picture does not do that moment justice, but the video coverage of that moment was pretty amazing.
And who does not think those girls are the cutest little things??  I love this picture.  It's fun to have little girls in the white house :) 
Isn't this picture stunning?  Gotta love the pomp and circumstance!
And way to go Rick Warren.  Loved his prayer, loved that he ended with scripture.  How great that he was asked to do this and that he stuck to his convictions and honored the Lord.
Kind of interesting to watch the "transfer of power" take place in real time...
I have to say, this scene made me a little sad.  I know President Bush wasn't perfect in all his decisions, but I think he is a man of integrity and that is a rare thing in Washington.  I also think He sought the Lord while he was in office and we are indebted to him for that.
On a totally different note, what is Aretha Franklin thinking with this hat?  I love that she wore a hat on a cold day, but THIS particular hat was not a good choice.  In my humble opinion :)  
Do you like it?
Leave it to the Texans to welcome one of their own back home.  My husband is so proud!  Thank you President and Mrs. Bush for 8 years of faithful service to our country.  Welcome back to civilian life :) 

8 comments:

Julee said...

Came from Kelly's Korner. Great post! Loved all the pics and all of your comments!!

Unknown said...

I was watching the inauguration with a friend of mine and we didn't recognize aretha with that big bow on her head... we just noticed the hat... and then she stood to sing and we realized it was her... i think the hat would have been fine without that HUGE bow...

oh and you should pop over to my blog .. i have a link for a give away that my friend Lauren is doing for some ADORABLE little shoes!!! ( i think lil miss ava would look adorable in them!!!)

Erin said...

Kelly, you did an amazing job at putting this day together!! I wish I could copy it word for word and put it on my page!! Today while watching I couldn't help but think what an attractive older man president bush is! I will always look up to him and thought he was a true man in office!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I LOVE that they used Abe Lincoln's Bible... that is the coolest! And I teared up when the helicopter flew away with the Bushes....

And how CUTE was that little girl giving the thumbs up??? Its going to be fun to see young kids in the White House!

Olde Town Style Guide said...

I just popped over from Kelly's Korner. Congrats on your little baby girl! I am sure she is going to be beautiful!!

I think Bush is just too cute. Did you hear what he said he was going to do on his first day off...it made me giggle...he is a good old Southern boy :)

Anonymous said...

steph, totally agree with your post. dave and i watched a ton of coverage yesterday, and no matter what you "believe," we couldn't help but feel so proud of our country. loved what bush said in his speech-he's cute. we were proud to watch everything--so historical. and p.s. aretha--wtc? (what the crap?)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I loved your "coverage" of the inauguration. I thought it was beautifully done also. I really feel like I can support the President - we need him to be the most outstanding leader we've ever had. I loved Aretha - even her hat - she's always been over the top - she probably thought she was being very demure for the occasion! Ha. Love, Pam

all up in each others bizness said...

"the hat" has its own facebook page :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aretha-Franklins-Inauguration-Hat/71597018624?ref=nf