Pages

2.27.2009

Labor and Delivery, Round One :)

It's been an eventful 24 hours for us, all 3 of us.  No sooner had I posted about our big  snowstorm yesterday, when I myself, ended up in the hospital because of it!  Yeah, that was not part of my plan for the afternoon.  

While I was working, and trying to get out the door for preschool pick-up, I realized that I forgot my phone in the house.  It was snowing like crazy at that point, harder and faster than I had seen in a long time.  I was covered in snow, from head to toe, just from putting Barrett in the car so when I ran in the house to grab my phone, I did what I have been trying to avoid doing for 34 weeks.  I fell.  Hard.  I hit the wood floors with my wet, snow covered shoes and my feet totally flew up in the air and I landed squarely on my tailbone and my head.  Fortunately no one witnessed my lack of grace, except for Lola (the 3 lb dog in her crate) but I had to pick myself up and get out the door because Barrett was in the car and we were going to be late picking up Finn.

The second I hit the floor, I felt that wave of panic wash over me.  I was in pain right away, but I wasn't thinking for one second about that.  My mind was racing about Ava.  I can't explain that feeling, other than to say every mothering instinct in me was raised and I immediately started worrying about my girl.  Long story short, I called my OB and after they asked me all kinds of questions, they wanted me to check in to the hospital and get monitored for awhile, just to make sure all was well with both of us.  Travis prayed with me on the phone and left work to meet me.  I managed to hold myself together up until that point, but as I was driving there and asking the Lord to please keep her safe, I totally broke down and cried.  There is no feeling like that, knowing you can't do anything to undo what happened and realizing that her days are not up to me.  Of course I was also mad at myself for being so dumb and falling.  Talk about pride coming before a fall...I always thought it was so ridiculous that so many pregnant women fall.  I was certain I had much better coordination than everyone else :) Clearly not.    

Anyway, I checked into labor and delivery triage and they hooked me up to fetal monitors and took all my vitals.  Poor Travis was on his way, but since we were in the middle of a blizzard and our biggest snowfall of the year, he was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with everyone else trying to get home.  It was music to my ears to lie there and hear her little heart beating so strongly for over an hour.  I loved that sound.  Every time she would kick,  the monitors made the loudest sound and more peace washed over me.  I went from total stress to total relaxation.  My nurse was so sweet and she put my mind at ease so quickly.  While she was watching us, she kept asking me if I was feeling "that."  When I had no idea what she was talking about, she told me I was having contractions, 5 min apart, then 4, then 2 even.  But I couldn't feel a thing!  She checked my cervix, just to put us both at ease and assured me I was definitely not dialated.  Which is good.  We want Ava to cook a little longer in there!  Meanwhile I was texting with Travis, who was still stuck in traffic.  I felt so bad.  Sure enough, as soon as they decided they could release me, he pulled in the parking lot.  Isn't that just the way it goes?  

On the positive side, I am so thankful that we were able to get confirmation that Ava is well and I spent a good portion of my time filling out all the pre-registration paperwork for when we come back next time.  Needless to say, I am sore today and feeling lots of aches and pain from every part of me that hit the ground :) I also still feel so stupid for falling.  Who runs in the house with snow covered shoes when they're 8 months pregnant??  Oh well.  At least it's a story we can tell Ava someday...Her first trip to the hospital :) Let's all pray Travis makes in time for her next trip!!  

16 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my goodness... I was holding my breath reading your story!! So glad you are OK & that Ava is still "cooking"... my grandson was born at 32 weeks & was wonderful so know if something does happen, littl miss Ava will probably just be fine! But we'll just shoot for no more falls - right? Hope you aren't TOO sore... it'll probably get worse over today & tomorrow!!!

Your poor hubs! I bet he was freaking out sitting in traffic! This was a good test run for him :-)

all up in each others bizness said...

PTL for keeping u and baby Ava safe!

LyndsAU said...

Bless your heart!! i was so nervous reading this story!! I am so glad you and little Ava are ok!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you fell!! BUT you are in good company :) I was 36 weeks with my first pregnancy and I fell down a flight of stairs!(there was no water, ice, anything. Just me being clumsy!) Needless to say it was my butt, thighs, and pride that hurt the most!! :)I'm glad that everyone is ok but just wanted to let you know that it happens to the best of us!!

Heather said...

I am so, so sorry, Steph!! I know you must feel miserable, not only from the fall but the whole ordeal. I am thankful that God was holding both of you in His hands. Hope you can get some rest today and this weekend.

Faith said...

Oh my word Stephanie! Thank the Lord you and Ava are both okay. I cannot imagine how scary that must have been, but I'm so thankful that God protected you both. Hope the aches go away soon!

The France Family said...

I'm so glad you are both ok!!!

MiMi said...

I am so thankful that everything was fine with you and Miss Ava! I know how frightened you must have been. I slipped and fell on a wet hardwood floor when I was just a few weeks away from delivering Faith. Everything was fine and I delivered a perfectly healthy little girl on the exact date that she was due!

I am sure that you are very sore. Please take it easy and try to get plenty of rest this weekend.

Praying for you,
Emilie

petrii said...

Oh Stephanie,
I'm so sorry that you fell, but I'm so glad that everything is okay. That little Ava Page definitely needs to keep a cookin' in there. I am praying for you sweet girl and will continue!!!

Have a Blessed and takin' it easy kind of weekend =)

Dawn

Amanda said...

Oh bless your heart! I'm glad you both were ok.

Unknown said...

OUCH!!!! I can't believe how easy it is to fall when you're pregnant!! I fell at 27 weeks and ended up in L& D too! I'm so glad all is well with you and miss Ava!! ( must have been a busy week in L&D cuz i ended up there on tuesday for some nasty pain that wouldn't go away) Hope the pain goes away soon!

Take care and be careful!!!

Jenna said...

So glad ya'll are both ok!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh I am so thankful that Ava and mommy are okay! How great that you got to be hooked up and hear that little heart beat and put your mind at ease!
I did the same thing when it snowed here(the one time it has snowed) a month or so ago. But I caught myself on a chair and turned to the side and landed on my hip. I didn't go to the doctor because he said I didn't have any symptoms and catching myself on the chair lessened the impact....I was scared also, but for Tate cause I had left him in the car for a second(which I never do under any circumstances usually) and I was having a hard time getting up! But all was well and I am thankful for that! It actually happened twice that same day- I am not used to having snow packed in my treads of my shoes!!
I can't wait to see little Ava- in about 5 weeks that is! Let her keep cookin'!

Rebecca Jo said...

Hey... can you email me an address I can send Miss Ava something at? :-)

Erin said...

I am glad you are ok and baby Ava is still cooking! The storm was horrible! I could not believe all the snow! It was pretty to watch though!

Amanda Hoyt said...

Hi Stephanie,
I just got to read this post and am so glad that you and Ava are both ok!
Many hugs and prayers,
Amanda
P.S. Thank you for your sweet thank you note :)