Pages

5.27.2012

A Narrow Escape

We've been having the strangest weather for the last few days.  It's been gorgeous, sunny and warm one day, then cloudy, stormy and wet the next day.  VERY wet...
We spent most of the day inside yesterday, cleaning carpets and getting some stuff done around the house, so we were hoping to get some time outside today.  I didn't pay attention to the weather forecast, but I suppose I should have known another storm was brewing based on how it looked and felt outside. It was a steamy 90 degrees today and soooo very humid. That's never good.  But after our kids woke up from naps, I packed us a little picnic and we drove to one of our new spots to enjoy the park and the lake.
Ava in particular loves this lake.  We've been enjoying the park here, but I know she's had her eyes on the beachfront, just dying to get in the water. 
 Carter didn't seem to care about much besides his food.  He was on a mission to get as much in his mouth as possible!
But this little nut was all about getting DONE as soon as possible so she could inch her way closer to the water.

 It was a gorgeous night, warm with a little breeze and mostly sunny with blue skies.  I honestly had no idea what was brewing or heading our way in just a few more minutes.
Ava was on a mission to get wet and thanks to her Daddy, she got very wet. 
 Carter was thinking the same thing I was, "Wait a minute???  Where does she think she's going??"
While mumbling something like, "I fink I have to go get in the water, Mama", she was off.
I sent Travis after her and Carter took that opportunity to get what he had his eyes on the whole time. 
"So now that they're gone, can I drink Daddy's snapple??"
On nights like this one, I realize that God gave me Travis to round out all of my sharp edges.
 Why do I say that??  Because we think and parent soooo differently :) I was under the impression that we would go look at the water front, not run through it in our clothes.  Travis' take was to just throw caution (and more dirty laundry) to the wind in the name of "having fun!" while running up and down the beach and seeing how fast they could go...
I will admit, his way was more fun, but for sure my way was more PRACTICAL.  Seeing as how I didn't put my children in swimsuits, didn't pack towels, and didn't mentally prepare myself for WET, messy kids, it was a miracle that we left that park with our marriage in tact :)
Thankfully, Carter was not interested at all in being on the sand or in the water so he stayed on my hip. 
However, these free spirits took advantage of the water and ran up and down the beach til one little girl I know was soaked from head to toe. 
Cute, but soaked!!!
Did I mention cute????
 I suppose that's the beauty of marriage and personal growth.  If no one ever did the opposite of what you would do or challenged you to embrace something new, life would be pretty boring. 
 And as Carter and I know well, life with Daddy is NEVER boring :)
He had his sights set on something tonight, but it wasn't the water.  He was more interested in the park and someones soccer ball than getting wet.  Which really was a gift his Mother appreciated.  It was just a fluke I'm sure.  I would be a fool to think he'll do the same thing the next time we go back, but tonight I was grateful for one child who was dry while the other one was not. 
As the sun started to get lower in the sky, we started to hear rumbles of thunder and knew we should head home.  Thankfully we got cleaned up and in the car, just in time to watch a major storm roll in.  Shortly after we left the tornado sirens went off and a big thunderstorm came out of nowhere.  We were on our way home but Trav's craving for DQ got us caught in a hail storm and we high tailed it out of the line to get back in the safety of our garage.
Who knew that a beautiful night like this could turn upside down so quickly?? 
We escaped unharmed, just in the nick of time. 
I can't say we all stayed dry, but only because a sandy beachfront was calling out to two of the four of us! 
We are looking forward to a day off tomorrow and hopefully, some more sun and less rain.  As long as my kids sleep through the stormy night, there is nothing better than falling asleep to rumbling thunder and steady rain. I actually love this time of year and all the storms it brings. 

Hope you have a blessed Memorial Day tomorrow!  I am so grateful for the many men and women who have served and are currently serving to keep our nation free.  We are so appreciative of your sacrifice...Thank you!!!

No comments: