Pages

1.13.2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

If you didn't see the national news tonight, you might not know that we are FREEZING in Minnesota tonight!  When I left this morning, it was -16 degrees outside, with a wind chill of -34.  Yes, you read that correctly.  NEGATIVE THIRTY-FOUR!!  I think the high for today was -6.  So, you know what that means for the Armstrongs....a hot meal!  As promised, I have some more recipes to share with you from dinner tonight.  Nothing fancy and more chicken, but it is EASY and very good.  And on a cold night, it is a good thing to have your oven running!  

Ava, Travis and I are just relaxing tonight, watching the madness that is American Idol.  We are quite entertained, although I've already had to run out of the room for the bathroom once! I was laughing so hard at one particular contestant and I almost wet my pants...this could be a problem!!  I never cease to be amazed at the people who honestly think they can sing and have a total look of shock on their face when they're told they cannot.  It's priceless and crazy.  Even Ava thinks so.  She's jumped several times at the shreaking noises coming from the TV!  
Don't you just love a jammies and TV kind of night??  Trav's even rockin his new slippers!  Yep, it's that cold outside.  

So, on to the entree we had this evening...Rice Krispy Chicken.  See, I said it was easy!  And it only requires three ingredients.  Chicken breasts, butter, and Rice Krispies.  

Dip your chicken breasts in melted butter, 

Then roll them in rice krispies.

I usually pour the remaining butter over the chicken and then pour the remaining rice krispies on top too.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, covered.  

The second dish I made is one of my Mom's recipes and one of Trav's favorites.  I married a guy who loves corn and because I'm from Iowa, he also married the right girl!  I'm full of recipes that involve corn :)  This one is kind of like a corn souffle.  No idea if I spelled that right.  You need the ingredients above.  1 can of creamed corn, 1 can of whole kernel corn, 2 eggs, 8 oz. of sour cream, and a package of corn bread mix.  The jiffy brand is the perfect size.  You also need a stick of butter.  Yes, my secret is out, we like butter at the Armstrong's!  

Mix all the ingredients and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Top with the stick of butter, cut into pieces.  I actually used a pan here that was a little bit smaller than a 9x13, so I just cooked it a little bit longer until it was done in the middle.  

Here is the yummy chicken goodness, fresh out of the oven. 

And here is the Corn Bake.  

If you use an 9x13, it will be a little thinner than this and will cook for 30-35 min. in a 350 degree oven.  If you use a slightly smaller pan, it is thicker and fluffier and will cook for about 45-55 min. at 350.  It is so good though!  It's very buttery and tastes a lot like corn bread.

Because I am a carb fanatic and I could eat some type of potato at every meal, every day, I also whipped up some mashed potatoes and gravy tonight.  Now, I would have preferred to serve the chicken and potatoes with fresh green beans, but I was trying to cheer up my husband tonight and make something he loves.  He had a long day and occasionally I'm that thoughtful:) 

It did occur to me that this meal is a little too "golden" in presentation :)  Perhaps I should have put Coldplay's "Yellow" on a playlist tonight... 

Anyway, if you're looking for an easy, kid-friendly meal, this is an option.  We loved this chicken when we were kids and today it's still one of those simple comfort foods that I love.  Those rice krispies are a great coating, kind of like corn flakes, but even better.  And the corn bake is a great substitute for corn bread.  I hope you stay warm tonight where ever you are and I especially hope I stay warm tonight!  It's a good thing I'm pregnant, I need the heat!!!  

14 comments:

Erin said...

My Goodness it is freezing here today! On my way to work this morning my car said -21!! I had to make sure I read that right and kept reading it over and over again! Seriously . . When will this end!!! I love winter and snow but not -30 something with wind shield!!! FREEZING!!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

A warm meal on a cold night... just what is needed!! I had to laugh when I saw another stick of butter in the receipe! Paula Dean would love you!!! :-)

Stay warm!!!

petrii said...

-6 for a high? Are you kiddin' me? YUCK!! We were suppose to travel back to Mayo in Feb, but rescheduled for March. Hopefully ya'll will be thawing out by then =)

This chicken looks delish ~~ Rice Krispes on chicken, who knew?!!

Have a Blessed day sweet girl,
Dawn

Kelly said...

I love pj's and Tv nights! Your recipes look good!!!!
I would die if I lived in MN - I'm pretty sure. :-)

Unknown said...

Yay for new recipes!! This will be on the upcoming menu soon! Thanks for sharing Steph and stay warm! We will be having a high of 24 on Friday and that is just a bit cold for North Carolina weather. I can't imagine living in MN.

sheltonfamily said...

Mike would love the corn bake. I will have to try it! It is so cold there. I can't even imagine. We are having an "artic freeze" here on Thursday and the high will be 39 degrees! You look great and I am so jealous that MIke is getting to come see you guys in MN....Stay warm!

roberts05 said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a little while, but haven't commented before. I make the corn bake all the time for family potlucks! I am originally from IL, but have always lived within 20 minutes from IA. I now live in Clinton, IA if you've ever heard of there. (it's right on the Mississippi River) It must be a Midwest recipe, but everyone loves it! I have a 3-year-old who is becoming a picky eater, so I'm going to try that chicken recipe. Hope it warms up soon! We are freezing here, but not quite as bad.

~g~ said...

Your recipe posts are so cute. I love how you take the time to stage the ingredients for a picture. I'm going to have to try these! Yummy.

~Bekah said...

Mmmmmmmm ok, so are you sure you're not from the South? This is like MY KINDA MEAL! I love chicken, corn bread, corn, and mashed potatoes! OMG i'm starving now! Baby Kee loves these things too! Mom used to make this chicken but used our favorite type of potato chip. :) mmmm so i really want to cook this now! haha.... It's cold here in Arkansas, but not THAT COLD! GEESE! It was 28 when i drove to work this a.m. and only got to a high yesterday of 40 w/ a 30 windchill so THAT'S COLD to us here in the south. Bless ur hearts! OMG, and American Idol cracked me up too! lol....stay toasty!

Aspiemom said...

Looks yummy! Hope you're keeping warm!

Candice said...

Wow - if I ever had any crazy ideas of visiting Minnesota, I have your blog to remind why I shouldn't! I wouldn't leave home if it were that cold!!

Love your recipes!! Especially the butter! I always have plenty on hand, and now I have new stuff to use it in!

Landra Lynn said...

Oh that chicken looks delish! Since I've been pregnant, I crave chicken constantly. I think we are now having this tonight! LOL

Great blog! :)

asplashofsunshine said...

I've never been to your blog before... I had to comment. That meal looks DEEEEE-LICIOUS! Also, I am glad I moved out of Michigan last year to California. We are sitting in 60 degree weather at the moment. STAY WARM!

Amanda Hoyt said...

Wow, now that is COLD!!! Stay warm!
Everything looks so yummy!
Hugs and prayers,
Amanda