Pages

9.03.2007

Rockin the State Fair!





Since we both had the day off today and because we haven't had too many of those lately, we decided to head out to the Minnesota State Fair and experience the "Great Minnesota Get-Together"(that's apparently the slogan). It was the last day of the fair, so we anticipated some big crowds and decided not to drive there. We decided instead to do the park and ride thing with metro transit, which proved to be a good decision.

We've heard that this fair is the 2nd largest in the country, second only to Texas of course, but I'm not sure that I believe that. It didn't seem much bigger than the North Carolina fair. We had a tradition of going to the fair when we lived in NC...it was one of our favorite things. We always got a roasted turkey leg and I drug Travis through every horticulture and home design exhibit there! It was great.

This fair was also fun, although incredibly hot. We arrived around lunch time and immediately went searching for lunch. In Minnesota, the big draw at the fair is anything on a stick. They have cheese-on-a-stick, sloppy-joe-on-a-stick, hot-dish-on-a-stick, candy-bars-on-a-stick, etc. We heard that walleye-on-a-stick was a must have, so we searced and searched for it. We never did find it, but in the Northwoods section, we did stumble upon something that came close. Travis chose walleye fries, (walleye deep fat fried), and I chose a smoked salmon wrap...they were incredible. Afterwards we went to all my favorite places, the fine arts building, the horticulture/agriculture building, the education building, and the market square...I have a really great husband! To make up for it, I promised Travis we would find the one thing he was craving...a bucket of fresh baked cookies from Sweet Martha's and ice-cold milk from the Dairy Association. Yummy. The cookies were very good and worth the wait in line and the milk was also tasty...$1.00 for all you could drink! That's a bargain!

Anyway, we walked, we ate, we got sunburned and we got hot! It was the perfect day at the fair!

4 comments:

amy said...

Stephanie,

What fun! The cookies and fresh milk look quite enticing!!! Yum!!! It's good to know that the NC State Fair ranks right up there with the 2nd largest in the US! :) So glad you guys got to get away and enjoy some time together!

sheltonfamily said...

We've heard about the TX state fair and plan on going hopefully this year! We both decided your food sounds totally "minnesotan". We heard we might get to see you all in November! Yea! It was great talking to you the other night!

ocean mommy said...

Hi Stephanie,

I'm Stephanie and I saw your post on the LPM blog.

First, I'm so sorry for you loss this week. My husband and I went through two miscarriages before we had our first child. I have tears in my eyes remembering that first one. That is your child, and you have suffered a loss. Sometimes people don't understand that. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but God does understand and He is more than enough to carry you through this.

I'm praying for you and your husband. The best thing we did during that time was to get out of town and just spend a few days alone together with God. A dear friend gave me the book "I'll hold you in Heaven". It was very helpful to me in working through some of the feelings.

Lifting you up and anticipating Him,
steph.

Shannie-K said...

Wishing you comfort and strength as you you walk this sad path. Praying for you both today, and hoping you can enjoy some sweet couple time away from the pressures of life and ministry.

Shannon (also LPM)