Pages

5.05.2008

It's going to be a looong summer...

I found myself in a theater last night, thinking this very thought, Lord help me live through this summer! I was playing the part of the sweet wife, accompanying my excited husband, to yet another super-hero/marvel comic movie. Iron Man. The #1 movie at the box office this weekend. Yep, we were there.

I had absolutely no idea when I met Travis that he had a thing for super-hero/comic book movies. NO IDEA. I quickly realized however, that he loves watching movies in general. He loves to go to the theater, to watch them on TV, to rent them, etc. If you know Travis, you also know that he maintains an incredible database of movie quotes in his head! He is able to recall the most obscure lines from a movie and quote them in the perfect way, usually in conjunction with some talk he's giving.

Now I also like movies, but I'm not nearly as into them as he is. Going to a movie is probably one of his favorite dates. I could think of several things I'd rather spend the money on first, but to make my husband happy, I often cave and go to the movies with him, trying not to cringe when we have to fork $18 over for tickets. Usually we can agree on a movie to see. I've learned to appreciate action/adventure movies, like the Die Hard trilogy, and epic movies, like Lord of the Rings. Those are both examples of movies I NEVER would have chosen to watch, but in the end, and much to my dismay, I really enjoyed them. However, there is one genre that I have yet to get excited about, despite the library I've been forced to see. That is the super-hero genre.

I just don't get the appeal. It's basically the same plot, different super-hero power. The main character is always tortured, secluded from society, and dealing with the tragic deaths of their parents/wife/children, etc. They discover their ability to use their power, often for good at first but usually dabbling in evil as well. I don't even have to see them anymore to tell you, that's exactly what's happening. I've lived through, Spiderman 1, 2 and 3; Batman Begins; Superman Returns; The Hulk; X-Men 1, 2, and 3; Fantastic Four 1 and 2; etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, I knew NOTHING about Iron Man when I agreed to go last night and it was of course just what I described, with a few disturbing twists and turns here and there. Travis loved it. However, the worst part of my evening was not watching the actual movie, but watching the endless previews and realizing what lies in store for me this summer. Batman: The Dark Knight (with an incredibly disturbing Heath Ledger as the Joker); Indiana Jones (with the very old looking Harrison Ford); Speed Racer (the dorkiest version possible); and the most disturbing of them all, The Incredible Hulk, 2.0. Apparently the first remake was so bad (and it was) that they decided to torture me again, with yet another remake. Instead of Eric Bana, this time it's Ed Norton.

I can't hardly wait for what's in store for me. The ONLY good news is that by watching the aforementioned movies with my husband, I will have earned a truckload of chick flicks coming my way! But until then, Lord help me get through it!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Men! Jeremy likes all those movies too! LOTR- his favorite!! Brad and Misty saw Iron Man this weekend. She liked it! I saw 27 Dresses and August Rush tis weekend! My kind of movies!!! Jeremy actually watched 27 Dresses (although he pretended to be doing something on the computer!!) hehe!!

TRUNNELL NEWS said...

You made me laugh today! Thanks!

The Martins said...

I love it! That is so funny, Thankfully Ed is not as into those super hero movies. But he will never take me to a chick flick and I realized I don't want him to because then it is no fun! He just doesn't cry with me! :)